1/2 Photos of Hunters Chicken Chasseur
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Chasseur is French for hunter. This is an updated version of an old classic. If fresh tarragon is unavailable, double the amount of fresh parsley-don't use dried tarragon. Serve with egg noodles or mashed potatoes! Adapted from Cook's Illustrated magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breast halves, trimmed of excess fat and skin (bone in)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups white button mushrooms, about 8 ounces (try using half portobello!)
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons apple juice concentrate (original recipe called for brandy or cognac)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or white grape juice)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup canned diced tomato, drained (or use fresh tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, minced
- 1Put oven rack in middle postion; heat oven to 400*F. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium high heat until almost smoking. Add the chicken breasts skin side down and cook without moving them until skin is crisp and well browned, 5-8 minutes. Using your tongs, turn chicken pieces and brown on other side, about 5 more minutes. Place browned chicken side up on baking sheet and set aside.
- 2Pour off all but 2 tbls. fat from pan. Add the mushrooms and cook over medium high heat until mushrooms start to brown, 6-8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add green onions; cook until softened, about 1 minute longer.
- 3Remove the pan from the heat and add apple juice concentratte; let stand until juice warms slightly, about 1 minute. (If using brandy or cognac, wave a lit long match over skillet until brandy ignites.Return pan to medium high heat and shake skillet until flames subside). Add wine; and using a wooden spoon, scrape brown bits from the pan bottom. Simmer briskly until reduced to glaze, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add broth and tomatoes and simmer over medium high heat; simmer briskly until liquid, mushrooms, and tomatoes measure 1 1/2 cups, about 25 minutes.
- 5While the sauce is simmering, place the chicken in the oven; roast 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer chicken pieces to serving platter and tent with foil.
- 6When the sauce is nicely reduced, whisk iin butter, one piece at a time, until melted and incorporated. Add the parsley and tarragon and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hunters Chicken Chasseur
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.4
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 69.3 mg
- Sodium 711.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 22.0 g