1/1 Photo of Hungry Jack Lefse
this is a norwegian Christmas recipe that DH loves. It is like a potato flatbread, spread with butter, sprinkled with sugar and rolled up in Saran Wrap.He made the recipe and loved it. this is a short cut way of making the Lefse from one of the recipes a cookbook Pillsbury County Cooking from the cookbook swap that i got from ChamoritaMomma.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat an electric lefse griddle(which we have) or electric skillet to highest temperature(DH has made this on the stove on a regular griddel)/.
- 2DO NOT GREASE GRIDDLE OR SKILLET.
- 3Measure potato flakes in large bowl.
- 4In a small saucepan, heat water, salt and margarine to rolling boil.
- 5Remove from heat, add milk.
- 6Add liquid to potato flakes and stirr until flakes are moistened)mixture is crumbly).
- 7Gradually add flour in small amounts to potato mixture.
- 8Work with hands until a soft dough of rolling consistency forms, AVOID USING TOO MUCH FLOUR.
- 9Form dough into a roll 10 inches long and 2 inches in diameter.
- 10Cut roll into 1/2 inch slices.
- 11Cover dough with plastic wrap while rolling out each lefse.
- 12On a well floured board or pastry cloth roll out each sli8ce of dough until paper thin.
- 13transfer lefse to heated griddle using a lefse stick or spatula.
- 14Bake about 1 minute or until brown spots appear on bottom surface.
- 15turn and bake other side 30-45 seconds.
- 16Place lefse between cloth dish towels to prevent drying out.
- 17repeat with remaining slices.
- 18cool completely.
- 19To serve spread with butter and fold in quarters.
- 20DH spreads his with butter, sprinkles with sugar and rolls them in saran wrap.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungry Jack Lefse
Serving Size: 1 (795 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 60.5
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.7 mg
- Sodium 259.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 1.5 g