Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
To save time, canned butter beans (about 4 15-ounce cans?) may be used. Don't drain the beans and then add enough water to account for the missing cooking liquid.
- 1 lb butter beans, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Cook the butter beans in boiling water (enough lightly salted water to cover) until done.
- In a saucepan, gently heat the 3 tablespoons oil or butter, once it is bubbling, add the flour and stir to make a paste or roux.
- Stir over the heat until the roux changes color to beige.
- Add the beans together with their cooking water, stirring constantly, to make a thickish sauce (add more water if necessary).
- Add the vinegar and sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Taste and adjust flavor, if necessary, by adding more vinegar or sugar.
- Continue cooking, stirring, for a few more minutes.