Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
In 'Rachael Ray's Look + Cook'
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs coarse ground sirloin
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 cup shredded gouda cheese or 1 cup smoked gouda cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- chopped fresh dill
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- chopped fresh chives
- Heat a large pot over med-high heat with the olive oil.
- Add the beef and brown for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the lumps.
- Add the chili pepper, bell pepper, onions, and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook 7-8 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Stir in the chili powder, paprika, and marjoram.
- Add the tomato paste to the pot and stir to combine, 1 minute.
- Add the beef stock to the pot and bring the chili to a boil.
- Decrease the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water or chicken stock and the milk to a boil, whisk in the polenta, and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in the cheese and butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill shallow bowls with polenta, making a well in the center.
- Fill the well with ladles of chili and top with sour cream, dill, parsley, and chives.