This was my Mother's recipe. She always made these for Christmas. I make them several times a year. You may use any flavor of jam, but I think the raspberry is delicious. One reviewer asked me about the egg whites. I always beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. My mother made it the same way.
- Cream butter/margarine and sugar.
- Add vanilla and egg yolks.
- Cream together well.
- Add sifted flour with soda and baking powder.
- Mix well.
- Then pat dough out onto cookie sheet with sides or a large shallow pan.
- Spread with jam and 1/2 cup ground nuts.
- Then over that spread the well beaten egg whites.
- Then sprinkle the other half of ground nuts to which 2 tablespoons of sugar have been added.
- Bake 1/2 hour at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Layers are:.
- Egg whites.
- Nuts with sugar.
- When cool, cut into 2 inch squares.