Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was my Mother's recipe. She always made these for Christmas. I make them several times a year. You may use any flavor of jam, but I think the raspberry is delicious. One reviewer asked me about the egg whites. I always beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. My mother made it the same way.
- Cream butter/margarine and sugar.
- Add vanilla and egg yolks.
- Cream together well.
- Add sifted flour with soda and baking powder.
- Mix well.
- Then pat dough out onto cookie sheet with sides or a large shallow pan.
- Spread with jam and 1/2 cup ground nuts.
- Then over that spread the well beaten egg whites.
- Then sprinkle the other half of ground nuts to which 2 tablespoons of sugar have been added.
- Bake 1/2 hour at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Layers are:.
- Egg whites.
- Nuts with sugar.
- When cool, cut into 2 inch squares.
I am from Ohio also and my hungarian Mom made this all the time. She called this cookie cake. Delicious! :)
My family LOVE these! They are all chewy when fresh, but still great the next day (they don't ever last longer than that!!). The other day I wanted to make them, but didn't have any nuts in the house, so I doubled the dough, used half for the base and spread the jam. I added a little more flour to the other half to make it crumbly, then sprinkled it instead of the nuts, over the jam, followed by the whipped egg whites and then more crumbly dough on top. It worked brilliantly, which was a relief, since I had already told everyone I was going to bake their new favourite cookies!!
Good recipe, I used raspberry preserves and walnuts. To bake I used my 8 X 8 pan, cookie sheet was too big. Shortly after I baked the pastry, I let it cool for a bit, I took a bite and they tasted great, however, served them next day, and the dough was a little too dry for me. Also, not sure if I was suppose to whip the eggwhites and form peaks or whisk them in a bowl, until they got frothy - I did the later. If anyone knows, please let me know. I would serve them same day. Thank you for the posting Jane.