Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I think anyone who likes cabbage will like this recipe. It is simple to make, uses everyday ingredients and yet is immensely satisfying.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 cup finely sliced onion (optional)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked egg noodles, broad, drained
- Mix the salt and cabbage together and let stand 30 minutes. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Heat the butter in a deep skillet. Add the onions, cabbage, sugar and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until cabbage is browned, about 45 minutes. Add the noodles and toss to blend thoroughly.
I love cabbage and I loved this recipe! I used a bit extra cabbage because it "cooks down" a bit. I liked the method of salting and rinsing the cabbage. It kept the cabbage pleasantly crisp in contrast to the soft noodles. I like that this recipe isn't drowning in butter; the amount listed is just enough. Thanx for a wonderful classic recipe!
We really enjoyed this - it is classic comfort food and was surprisingly addictive, considering the simple ingredients. The only change I made was I rinsed the cabbage off after salting it and then pressed it in a towel to remove the water. Thanks for posting this! Made for My Three Chefs Fall 08