Similar to German Spaetzle. Helps to have a Spaetzle press or maker.
Make and share this Hungarian Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- Using an electric mixer, blend the eggs, lard or oil, water, and milk.
- Stir the flour together with 1/2 t of the salt and the baking powder in a dry bowl.
- Blend this mixture into the liquid. Mix well and set aside for a moment.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Using a Spaetzle maker or Spaetzle press, squeeze the dough into the boiling water. Use about 1/3 of the dough for each batch. When the dumplings float to the surface, they are done.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon and place in a colander. They can be served this way with Paprika Gravy or pan-fried with a little butter, just until they are a bit golden, and topped with parsley.
- NOTE: These dumplings can also be made by using a piping bag or dropping very small amounts from a spoon. The latter takes much much longer.