Hungarian Plum Dumplings - With Vegan/Sugar Free Version
photo by gourmandelle
- Ready In:
- 1 kg mashed potatoes (use red skin potatoes which have a higher amount of starch so the dough will be stickier)
- 250 g whole wheat flour (you can also use different flours like soy or almonds or rye flour)
- 2 eggs (or egg substitutes for vegans, you can also add 1-2 tbsp of dry yeast flakes)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 25 plums, pitted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 3 -4 tablespoons sucanat
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 150 g breadcrumbs
- Start by boiling the unpeeled potatoes in a pot of water (for small potatoes this will take about 10-15 minutes). After they are boiled remove them from the water and let them cool for a couple of minutes then peel and mash them.
- Put the mashed potatoes in a large bowl and add the beaten eggs (or egg substitutes), oil and flour.
- Mix all ingredients together until you get a sticky and smooth dough.
- Mix the cinnamon, vanilla and rum extracts and the sucanat in a small bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of this mixture into the middle of each plum.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the bread crumbs and let them fry for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and put them on a large plate.
- Divide the dough in two. Roll the dough and cut it into dumpling-size portions (ones that appear to be big enough to wrap your plum). Take each portion and form a small ball. Flatten the ball and place the plum into the center, then remake the ball with the plum inside.
- Tip: You must have flour on your hands all the time so the dough won’t stick to your fingers.
- Boil some water in a large pot. Add a pinch of sea salt.
- When the water has reached boiling point, place some dumplings inside.
- Be careful, if the dumplings stick to the bottom of the pot all you need to do is to shake it a little bit. Let them boil for 5 minutes. When ready they will rise from the bottom of the pot.
- Remove them from the water using a slotted spoon and roll them in the bread crumbs. Serve with honey (or other healthy syrup) on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I started my food blog in order to share with you my knowledge about having a healthy lifestyle. First of all you must know that I don’t fit in any eating-related categories like vegetarian, vegan, raw vegan and so on. I just eat what I consider to be healthy. I am more like a dairy-free vegetarian. On my blog you'll find many delicious and healthy recipes which will help you maintain a balanced diet.</p>