Recipe by kiwidutch
Posted for ZaarWorldTours: In Arabic Hummus simply means "chickpea" This recipe for Humus is more correctly called " hummis bi tahina" and is a tradional dip from the Middle East, where it is served as part of the "Mezze". The "Mezze" is the equivalent of the french hors d' oeuvre, a collection of savoury nibbles as a lead-up to the Main Course. Time posted is for using dried (soaked) chick peas that need boiling etc.. if you use canned chick peas then cooking time is 30 minutes. Tahini is a paste made from freshly ground sesame seeds. REGION: Middle East.
Top Review by Scottish Joyce
First time I've made Hummus - I'm glad I spelled it HUMMIS in the search!! I found it really easy to make, I'll never buy supermarket hummus again!! I'm feeling really pleased because I also made my own tahini as I couldn't get it locally (okay, I live in the "sticks"). 4 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds to 1 teaspoon of Sesame Oil, 250ml Warm Water, Salt & Pepper - blitz the whole lot in a blender. Thank you Kiwidutch for your recipe.
- 225 g dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight or 2 (400 g) cans chickpeas
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 150 ml tahini (1/4 pint)
- 60 ml olive oil (4 Tablespoons)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 60 g sour cream
- black olives (garnish)
- chopped fresh parsley (garnish)
- pita bread (to serve) or Turkish bread (to serve)
Directions See How It's Made
- If you are using dried chick peas, and you have soaked them overnight, drain the water off, place into a saucepan and then add fresh cold water.
- Simmer gently for 2 hours or until tender.
- Drain the peas, reserving a little of the cooking water, put the peas into a food processor or blender (reserve a few whole ones first if you like, for garnish).
- Blend well, slowly adding a small amount of the reserved liquid and the lemon juice until you have a smooth purée.
- Lastly, add the tahini paste, the rest of the olive oil (2 tablespoons), cumin, cayenne pepper, sour cream and salt and pepper to taste, blending until smooth.
- Serve sprinkled with the whole chick peas, olives and chopped parsley.