Posted for ZaarWorldTours: In Arabic Hummus simply means "chickpea" This recipe for Humus is more correctly called " hummis bi tahina" and is a tradional dip from the Middle East, where it is served as part of the "Mezze". The "Mezze" is the equivalent of the french hors d' oeuvre, a collection of savoury nibbles as a lead-up to the Main Course. Time posted is for using dried (soaked) chick peas that need boiling etc.. if you use canned chick peas then cooking time is 30 minutes. Tahini is a paste made from freshly ground sesame seeds. REGION: Middle East.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 225 g dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight or 2 (400 g) cans chickpeas
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 150 ml tahini (1/4 pint)
- 60 ml olive oil (4 Tablespoons)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 60 g sour cream
- black olives (garnish)
- chopped fresh parsley (garnish)
- pita bread (to serve) or Turkish bread (to serve)
- 1If you are using dried chick peas, and you have soaked them overnight, drain the water off, place into a saucepan and then add fresh cold water.
- 2Simmer gently for 2 hours or until tender.
- 3Drain the peas, reserving a little of the cooking water, put the peas into a food processor or blender (reserve a few whole ones first if you like, for garnish).
- 4Blend well, slowly adding a small amount of the reserved liquid and the lemon juice until you have a smooth purée.
- 5Lastly, add the tahini paste, the rest of the olive oil (2 tablespoons), cumin, cayenne pepper, sour cream and salt and pepper to taste, blending until smooth.
- 6Serve sprinkled with the whole chick peas, olives and chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hummus ( Hummis Bi Tahina )
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 381.1
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 4.2 mg
- Sodium 33.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 12.1 g