Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Hummous is a Middle Eastern spread made with chickpeas and tehina. It's nutritious (full of protein) and delicious.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups canned chick-peas or 2 cups precooked chickpeas
- 4 tablespoons prepared tahini (see my recipe for tehina)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Mince garlic in food processor Add remaining ingredients to food processor Process till smooth, adding additional prepared tehina for a creamier consistency Traditionally, hummous is spread on a plate, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with paprika.
- It's delicious served with warm pita and a variety of salads.
I found that it was a little too bland for me. I added more garlic and a lot more lemon juice and this gave it a more zesty taste. I also had to add water to give it a creamier texture.
I didn't understand these ingredients until after I made this. I thought this was OK made with tahini. I had to use some water to thin it, and I wanted more garlic and lemon flavor. If I had first made your recipe for tehina (#74382) and used that instead of the tahini, it probably would have been perfect. I'll have to try again.