Middle Eastern Slow-Cooked Stew With Lamb, Chickpeas, and Figs
photo by MA324254
- Ready In:
- 1hr 52mins
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cubed
- 4 cups onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 3⁄4 cups water, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick (3-inches)
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dried fig, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Let the oil get heating in a large pot over medium-high heat; also coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add in half the cubed lamb; stir/saute 8 minutes or until browned; remove from pan.
- Repeat procedure with remaining lamb.
- Return first batch of lamb back to pot so that all the lamb is now in the pot.
- Add in onion, 1/4 cup water, and garlic; cook 4 1/2 minutes or until lightly browned, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Add in cumin and the next 6 ingredients; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broth and 1 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Stir in chickpeas and the next 3 ingredients; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until the carrots are done.
- Stir in mint and salt.
- This dish is best when made ahead of time and refrigerated up to 2 days to allow the flavors to meld.
- May reheat in a slow-cooker or on the stove-top if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I loved it my friend said not enough spice. So each can decide for themselves. I made it on Friday as suggested to serve on Sunday. This was suggested in the instructions to allow all the flavours to meld - They did! I re-heated our dinner in a casserole in the oven, covered - 375 for 25 minutes. Added some sliced apple, tomatoes and chutney as garnish and a fresh taste side. I made the whole recipe and have frozen half for another dinner taste treat