This is Rosemary Stanton's recipe for this style of soup. I have been using this for years and, like her, swear by it. I love mine strong on garlic & chilli so adjust if necessary. Australian measurements used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 chilies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced lemongrass
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 2 fresh lime leaves, shredded finely
- 300 g chicken breasts, cut into strips (or prepared green prawns)
- 200 g Baby Spinach (or use your favourite green vegetable)
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and sliced finely
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (or lemon)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 250 g silken tofu, cut into cubes (optional)
- 1Heat sesame oil and cook chilli, ginger and lemon grass for a couple of minutes over a gentle heat.
- 2Add garlic, stock and lime leaves and bring to the boil.
- 3Add chicken breast (or prawns), spinach and capsicum and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- 4To serve: Stir in lime juice, fish sauce and tofu (if used) and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot & Sour Soup (For Colds & Flu)
Serving Size: 1 (508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.9
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 111.2 mg
- Sodium 1135.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 48.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh lime leaves