Recipe by ozzygirl
Yum. Love these. Kids love them too. I like the fact that you can do two flavours. The tomato sauce is made from scratch and is an optional condiment.
- 400 g cooked desiree potatoes, peeled and mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 (95 g) can sweet corn
- 1 cup of cooked broccoli floret
- 1 (95 g) can tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 small cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed
- oil, for shallow frying
- fresh tomato sauce (if you so desire)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, skinned and deseeded
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (400 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine mashed potatoes, eggs, sweet corn and broccoli and mix well. Divide mixture into two small bowls.
- Fold tuna into one of the bowls and chicken into the other; mix well.
- Dust hands with flour and shape mixture into 5cm balls.
- Roll balls through the remaining flour, shaking off excess and then dip into whisked eggs.
- Finally pass through the cornflakes to coat evenly. Press down gently to form a disc shape.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat and cook hot cakes for 2 minutes each side until crispy and golden.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- For the tomato sauce: Heat oil in the pan and cook onion for 1-2 minutes or until softened.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for a further 5 mins; add sugar and vinegar and mix well. Stir in canned tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix cornflour and water together to form a paste and add to tomato sauce; bring to the boil and cook until sauce is thickened.
- Cool mixture slightly and puree with a stick blender until smooth.