1/2 Photos of Hot Pocket and Fried Pie Dough
This dough is great for making pizza pockets, hot sandwich pockets, fruit pies ("fritter") and whatever you can imagine. It doesn't take long to make if you have those little dough presses that make the crimped edges. This came from my efforts to make fritters for my husband like his mom used to make. Success!! :)The cook time will be different depending on filling, so it is an estimated time for fried pies. Cooking fillings for hot pockets will increase prep and cook time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder, together.
- 2Cut in shortening.
- 3Pour the milk into the flour mixture all at once.
- 4Mix quickly and add additional milk if needed to combine all dry spots or flour if it is to sticky.
- 5Lightly knead it to make a thick dough.
- 6Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- 7Cut the dough into 12 equal portions.
- 8On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough pieces into 5 or 6 inch circles.
- 9Put two or three tablespoons of filling of your choice in the center of each round, moisten edges with milk to ensure seal.
- 10Fold over and crimp the edges with a fork.
- 11Fry a few at a time without crowding, in the hot oil, until golden brown.
- 12Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- 13Notes: Although this dough can be used to make homemade"hot pockets" the filling should be completely done before enclosing it in the dough.
- 14The dough will cook too fast to get the insides done.
- 15I find it best to place paper towels on a wire rack so the pies remain light and crisp and don't get soggy from the steam.
- 16If you are using the dough for fried pies, it will use one 21 ounce can @ approximately two tablespoons per pie.
- 17Pies should be sprinkled as soon as they are removed from oil so the sugar will stick.
- 18(Sugar and cinnamon mix is great on apple pies.).
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Pocket and Fried Pie Dough
Serving Size: 1 (714 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.3
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 2.8 mg
- Sodium 331.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 3.9 g