Recipe by Grandma Joan
My husband brought this recipe home after having it for lunch at a friends home. We discovered it was great hot or cold. My neighbors request this salad cold for our get-togethers.
Top Review by NurseJaney
Adjusted to serve 6. This makes a good base for hot salad - really needed salt. If I make again, would add some zip -- few dashes of hot sauce, and would replace the instant rice with basmati or jasmine. It went together quickly and my guest took some home for another day. Thanks for posting, Grandma Joan
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
- 2 cups instant rice, prepared as directed
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced (I use leftover rotisserie chicken)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion (tops and bottoms)
- 8 ounces sliced water chestnuts
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 ounces pimentos, diced (1/2 cup diced red bell pepper)
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise, I use light sometimes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, I use fat-free (condensed)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl mix mayo, lemon juice, and lemon pepper. Pour over the other ingredients and mix together.
- If salad seems dry add a little chicken stock to moisten.
- If hot put into a 9X11 inch oblong dish. Bake for 45 minutes at 350°, this dish may be made one day ahead, uncovered.