Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Another recipe from the Carb Smart recipe book from Better Homes and Gardens :)
- 3 . 5 lb boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (optional)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic (or 2 fresh cloves minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut to fit into 3 1/2 - 4 quart slow cooker. If desired, in large skillet, brown meat on all sides in hot oil. Place meat in slow cooker.
- In small bowl, combine tomato juice, chipotle chile pepper, vinegar, garlic, and salt. Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. Transfer meat to serving platter, reserving juices. Cover meat and keep warm.
- For gravy: Strain juices into glass measuring cup. Skim off fat. Measure 1 1/2 cups juices, adding water if necessary. In small saucepan, combine the water and arrowroot; stir in juices. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened (do not boil). Season to taste with additional sald and ground blad pepper. Slice meat. Serve gravy over meat.