Recipe by FLUFFSTER
This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated,and is unbelievably good. With a delicate whisper of coffee, the flavors meld together to give you a wonderful promise. It's so good! Add your choice of vanilla or coffee ice cream! You just gotta try this! Times are approximate.
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules, dried
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate or 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
Directions See How It's Made
- **Note: If you have cold, brewed coffee on hand, it can be used in place of the instant coffee and water, but to make sure that it isn't too strong, use 1 cup cold coffee mixed with 1/2 cup of water.
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325°.
- Lightly spray 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Stir instant coffee into water; set aside to dissolve.**(see note).
- Stir together 1/3 Cup cocoa, brown sugar, and 1/3 Cup granulated sugar in small bowl, breaking up large clumps with fingers; set aside.
- Melt butter, remaining 1/3 Cup cocoa, and chocolate in small bowl set over saucepan of barely simmering water; whisk until smooth and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk flour and baking powder in small bowl to combine; set aside.
- Whisk remaining 2/3 Cup sugar, vanilla, milk and salt in med. bowl until combined; whisk in yolk.
- Add chocolate mixture and whisk to combine.
- Note*If you have cold, brewed coffee on hand, it can be used in place of the instant coffee and water, but to make sure it isn't too strong, use 1 Cup of cold coffee mixed with 1/2 Cup of water.
- Add flour mixture and whisk until batter is evenly moistened.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread evenly to sides and corners.
- Sprinkle cocoa/sugar mixture evenly over batter (cocoa mixture should cover entire surface of batter).
- Pour coffee mixture gently over cocoa mixture.
- Bake until cake is puffed and bubbling and just beginning to pull away from sides of baking dish, about 45 minute.
- (Do not overbake).
- Cool cake in dish on wire rack about 25 minute before serving.