Recipe by Melanie Murray
These hot drinks are a favorite at my house. We love them year round but especially during the cold holiday time. This is just another favorite recipe of mine from Hershey's. :)
Top Review by newspapergal
Just wonderful! We had an unusual early March snow, and I wanted a cocoa made on the stovetop like my mom used to. This fit the bill wonderfully!! I followed the basic recipe exactly, except I didn't have any marshmallows or whipped cream to top it!. I used skim milk, and the cocoa was creamy & velvety. This will be my go-to recipe.
Original Hot Cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Hersheys cocoa powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄3 cup hot water
- 4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- miniature marshmallows or sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cocoa and salt; stir in water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add milk; heat to serving temperature, stirring constantly.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla.
- Beat with rotary beater or whisk until foamy.
- Serve topped with marshmallows or sweetened whipped cream if desired.
- Spiced cocoa: Add 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg with vanilla.
- Serve with a cinnamon stick, if desired.
- Mint Cocoa: Add 1/2 teaspoon mint extract or 3 Tablespoons crushed hard peppermint candy or 2 to 3 Tablespoons white creme de menthe with vanilla.
- Serve with peppermint candy stick, if desired.
- Citrus Cocoa: Add 1/2 teaspoon orange extract or 2 to 3 Tablespoons orange liquer with vanilla.
- Swiss Mocha: Add 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee with vanilla.
- Canadian Cocoa: Add 1/2 teaspoon maple extract with vanilla.
- Cocoa Au Lait: Omit marshmallows or sweetened whipped cream.
- Spoon 2 Tablespoons softened vanilla ice cream on top of each cup of cocoa at serving time.
- Slim-Trim Cocoa: Omit sugar.
- Substitute skim milk for milk.
- Proceed as above.
- Stir in sugar substitute with sweetening equivalence of 1/2 sugar with vanilla.
- Quick Microwave Cocoa: To make one serving, in microwave safe cup or mug, combine 1 heaping teaspoon Hershey's Cocoa, 2 heaping spoons sugar and dash of salt.
- Add 2 teaspoons cold milk; stir until smooth.
- Fill cup with milk.
- Microwave on HIGH (100%) 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until hot.
- Stir to blend.