Recipe by out of here
This is from Pillsbury's 15TH Bake-Off. I got 5 of these old articles at a garage sale--this recipe was interesting.
Top Review by C R.
I have been making these cheese pups since they first came out years ago and I usually bring them to meetings or church events. They are always a hit and I have to make extras to leave at home or the family gets angry.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package Red Star active dry yeast
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups pillsbury's best all-purpose flour
- 1 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in water. Combine in mixing bowl milk, butter, sugar, and salt. Cool to lukewarm. Blend in egg and yeast. Gradually add flour to form a stiff dough; beat well after each addition. Cover. Let rise in a warm place until light, about 1 hour.
- Combine cheese and onion. Roll out dough, 1/2 at a time, on floured surface to 14x8 rectangle. Cut into 7x2 inch pieces. Place about 3 rounded tablespoons cheese down center of each. Bring edges to center; seal. Seal ends. Place seam-side down, on cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Let rise in warm place, 30 minutes.
- Fry in heavily-buttered skillet on medium heat, about 2 minutes on each side. Turn carefully to brown all sides. Add butter as needed. Serve hot.