Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This came from Diabetes Forecast magazine
- 4 (4 ounce) turkey breast cutlets
- 1⁄2 cup mild or medium-hot salsa or 1⁄2 cup picante sauce, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mild or medium chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies, well drained
- 1 (14 ounce) package frozen corn black beans and sweet peppers (thawed)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro or 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves, plus
- extra cilantro, for garnish
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a medium non-reactive bowl, stir together the turkey cutlets, 1/4 cup salsa, chili powder, and allspice, let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat the oil over high heat until hot but not smoking, add the turkey cutlets, (reserving any salsa in bowl) and onions, adjust the heat so the cutlets cook rapidly but do not burn, cook, turning cutlets several times, until they are nicely colored and just cooked through, about 5 minutes longer, until the flavors are well blended.
- Add the green chilies, corn and bean mixture, cilantro (or parsley) and remaining 1/4 cup salsa to skillet, cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes longer, until the flavors are well blended.
- Return the cutlets to the skillet, along with the reserved salsa, continue simmering about 5 minutes longer, until the cutlets and corn mixture are heated to piping hot, add salt and pepper to taste, garnish with additional cilantro (or parsley) if desired.