Prep 1 hr
Cook 52 mins
This recipe is the winning recipe in this week's Thursday magazine. It was submitted by Jyoti Nair. This is posted by request for recipes using turmeric powder.
- 100 g tofu, soya chunks
- 3 medium finely chopped onions
- 3 medium finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 finely chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam or 2 tablespoons mango jam
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves, to garnish
- 2 tablespoons fried onions, to garnish
- Soak the soya chunks in warm salted water for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze, wash and drain.
- Marinate the soya chunks in the ginger-garlic paste and yogurt marinade for 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp.
- of oil in a pot.
- Saute the marinated soya chunks until all the liquid dries up.
- Keep it aside.
- Heat 3 tbsps.
- of oil in the same pot.
- Add onions and fry until golden brown.
- Lower flame, add turmeric, red chilli and garam masala powders.
- Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and green chillies.
- Cook until it turns mushy with the lid on.
- Add the soya chunks and salt.
- Mix well and cook covered for 15 minutes on low flame.
- Add the apricot jam and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle a pinch of garam masala powder.
- Garnish with corriander leaves and fried onions.
- Serve hot with chappatis (Indian flatbreads) or white bread or puris for a complete meal!
Easy to make. Delicious sauce. I used mango chutney as I had no jam and it tasted great. A veg side dish like spicy green beans would go well.