Recipe by startnover
I started grinding my own wheat and making homemade wheat bread about three years ago. I love this recipe. It makes four loaves of bread, which sounds like a lot unless you have four kids. Also it freezes great. I slice mine, put it in a plastic bread bag, and zip it in a freezer bag. It's good up to one month. I've had problems with homemade wheat bread crumbling, not so with this recipe. Another thing I've found to make a tasty bread use 1/2 hard white wheat flour and 1/2 hard red wheat flour if you can.Hope you enjoy.
Top Review by LaVidaMama
I LOVE this bread! I started grinding my grain a few months ago, and have been making it ever since. I too have 4 kiddos, and we go through it extremely quickly. I use agave instead of honey, and coconut oil for the oil. Yummy!
- 4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons bread enhancer (with tofu)
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 10 cups whole wheat flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Put water in mixer and add 4 c of flour.
- Mix for a few seconds and then add yeast, honey, oil, dough enhancer, and salt. Pulse a few times.
- Then while mixing add just enough flour till dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Dough should be slightly sticky to the touch.
- Mix 10-12 minutes giving the gluten time to develop.
- Place in greased bowl cover and let rise 45 minutes.
- Punch down and shape into loves.
- Place in greased loaf pans, and let rise 20-30 minutes.
- Bake 30-35 minutes at 350°.