Sourdough Honey Whole Wheat Bread
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sourdough starter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons shortening
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water.
- Mix yeast, starter, honey, salt and shortening with 3 cups flour.
- Add more flour as needed to make a stiff dough.
- Knead 150 strokes on a floured surface and place in a greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours until doubled in size.
- Punch down, let double again.
- Punch down and roll into tight loaf.
- Grease and place in bread pan.
- Let double in pan and bake at 400 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes or until very dark golden brown, and it sounds hollow when thumped.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation