Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tasty dish to be had on its own or a smaller serve as a side with a grill. This recipe can be halved quite successfully and I have made it with creamy blue Camembert. If the fennel is not baby would suggest blanching it for a while first.
- 4 baby fennel, halved
- 2 carrots, peeled and halved (preferable young ones)
- 2 red onions, peeled and halved
- 1 large sweet potato, orange colour peeled and quartered (kumara)
- 1⁄4 cup honey (2 fl ozs)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 4 1⁄2 cups boiling chicken stock or 4 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 60 g butter
- sea salt
- cracked pepper
- 4 slices creamy blue cheese (thick slices)
- Preheat oven to 200d C (390F). Place fennel, carrots, onions and sweet potato in a baking dish lined with baking paper. Combine the honey, lemon juice and oil and pour over the vegetables. (I find it easier to put these in a cup and zap slightly in the microwave for 30 seconds or so to make the pouring easier).
- Bake for approx 40 mins - 60 mins, depending on your oven and they are tender and golden.
- To cook the polenta, have the stock simmering over med-high heat. Add the polenta in a thin stream and stir for 5 mins or until it comes away from the side of the pan.
- Add the butter salt and a generous amount of pepper and place on plates. Top with the cheese and vegetables and serve.
Sorry, but the sauce was far too sweet for my family and the sauce to veg ratio made for more of a stewed veg rather than a roasted veg. Will try to tweak with less honey and less sauce overall.
Such a cool recipe. Thanx! Chantel K