Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Something a little different and very good.
- 6 ounces pitted prunes (about 1 cup)
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a blender, blend prunes and orange juice until almost smooth, turning on and off and scraping sides as needed.
- Stir in nuts.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture boils and becomes very thick (5-8 minutes); set aside.
- In large bowl, cream butter, sugar, honey, and orange zest.
- Beat in eggs.
- Mix in flour, oats, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt, blending for 2 minutes.
- Evenly spread half of the flour mixture on bottom of greased 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Cover evenly with prune mixture to within 1/2-inch from edges.
- Crumble the remaining flour mixture over top to cover prune mixture.
- Pat down gently.
- Bake until browned and springy to the touch (30-35 minutes).
- Cool on wire rack; cut into 1x2-inch bars.