Recipe by Tarteausucre
Global Gourmet, Submitted for ZWT 6.
Top Review by WiGal
Amazing cake! Moist. Reminds me of cheesecake and can see a garnish of raspberries on it. And can see that it would be wonderful also with orange or lime. I did omit the sugar in syrup, used 1 1/2 cups of honey instead of 2, left the zest in the syrup, and simmered longer by about 2 minutes. I also only used half the syrup and would do the same again. I also put mine into a 10 inch deep pie dish with a cookie sheet underneath it. I am confused with your STEP 8-the remaining butter phrase. Thank you Tarteausucre for posting a repeater. First picture shows cake w/o syrup, second picture with half the syrup, and third picture a slice. Made for ZWT6 Zingo for Unrulies Under the Influence.
- 2 cups honey
- peel of 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of, strained
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups thick Greek yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the honey, zest, 6 tablespoons of the sugar, and 2 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes; syrup should lightly coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove lemon peel and stir in the lemon juice.
- Set pan aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a deep, 9-inch round cake pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and remaining 6 tablespoons of sugar together until pale and thick.
- Sift 1-1/4 cups of flour and baking powder together. Add to the egg mixture and stir.
- Add remaining butter and yogurt cheese.
- Add just enough flour to make a dough stiff enough to come away from the sides of the bowl.
- In another bowl: Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Add 1/3 to the yogurt batter and gently fold inches
- Carefully fold remaining whites into batter.
- Spread into cake pan and bake for 35 minutes.
- Cake should be golden brown. When cake is still warm, pour syrup over the cake. Let cake sit for at least 4 hours before serving.