I got this idea from honey roasted sunflower seeds sold in bulk at the grocery store. It is much cheaper to make the mixture yourself, plus you can control the amount of salt used. Here is a local price comparison: honey roasted sunflower seeds in bulk cost $1.49 per pound. Raw sunflower seeds in bulk cost ¢.99 per pound.
- Tip: by warming the honey first, it will be much easier to stir the honey and sunflower seeds together.
- PREHEAT oven to 325º.
- In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and stir well to coat the seeds.
- Arrange the sunflower seeds singly (as best you can) on a large parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until seeds are golden, stirring often. Important: *You must watch the baking process carefully to avoid burning the seeds.*.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Note: the sunflower seeds will stick together like candy brittle. Break apart and transfer to airtight container.
I just tried this; followed the directions exactly. I stirred the seeds every 5 minutes; I think that helped it cook more evenly. I think 15 minutes might not be enough, yet 20 is a bit too done. They are yummy.
Honey I Love the Sunflower Seeds! These are fantastic! I made them with agave nectar and backed them for 15 minutes. Perfect! I was asked to make a vat of them :)
Great recipe. i think the cooking time is a little too long.