1 hr 30 mins
From the NY Times 10/17/07.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup honey (chestnut or other intense kind)
- 3 large bosc pears, peeled, quartered lengthwise and cored
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a 9-inch ovenproof skillet (not nonstick), simmer honey until it begins to caramelize and darken in colour, do not let honey burn; if it starts to smell burned, turn off heat.
- 3Arrange pears, close together and cut-side down, in a circular pattern in skillet, stem ends pointing toward center. Simmer over medium heat, turning them from one side to the other until they turn golden, about 10 minutes.
- 4Flip pears over their curved side and scatter with thyme sprigs if using. Transfer skillet to oven and roast, uncovered, until very tender, about 25 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together sugar and lemon zest. Whisk in eggs and vanilla, fold in flour and salt, stir in 1/2 cup of butter.
- 6When pears are soft, remove skillet from oven, discard thyme sprigs and brush edges of pears with the remaining 1 tbsp of butter. Pour batter over pears, spread almonds over batter and bake for about 25-30 minutes until done. Let cake cool for 30 minutes in the skillet before running an offset spatula or a thin sparing knife along edge of pan to loosen cake. Carefully invert cake into a platter. Serve warm or cooled.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey-Glazed Pear-Up-Side-Down Cake - Nytimes
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.8
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 116.2 mg
- Sodium 124.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 55.8 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of