Recipe by Pianolady
This is absolutely incredible!! I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we did. This has become a very special treat at our house. One thing is for sure... it won't last very long once you make it -- it seems it gets eaten up as soon as it comes out of the oven! It comes from the kitchen at Food Network originally.
Top Review by baby e
These are delicious little pockets of love!!! I used Grand Marnier instead of sweet wine, and pecans instead of almonds. They were fantastic! Leftovers are a tasty treat with morning coffee.
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced and hulled
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet wine (i.e. Johannesburg Riesling)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry, fresh or frozen,thawed
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 tablespoons almonds, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the strawberries, wine and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a small bowl-- set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, 3 tablespoons of the honey and the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in medium bowl until smooth.
- Mix in the cream, egg, and vanilla.
- Spoon mixture into 9" glass pie dish.
- Bake until custard is set; about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack and cool completely.
- Combine the butter and remaining 2 tablespoons of honey in a small saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until butter melts and honey dissolves.
- Remove from heat.
- Arrange 1 phyllo sheet on work surface with long side parallel to the edge of the surface (cover remainder with plastic wrap and damp kitchen towel).
- Brush lower half of phyllo lengthwise with butter mixture.
- Fold phyllo in half lengthwise.
- Brush with butter mixture.
- Spoon 1/8 of custard mixture near 1 short edge of phyllo.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of almonds.
- Fold 1 corner of phyllo over custard; continue folding like you would a flag, forming a triangle and enclosing filling completely.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter, custard and almonds.
- Transfer pastries to a buttered baking sheet.
- Brush pastries with remaining butter mixture.
- Bake until golden brown, about 18 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with sliced strawberries and juices.