3 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is from an old Time-Life African cookbook. Try it warm, spread with butter and honey. It should be easy to adapt to a bread machine, if you have one that can make a 2-pound loaf.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put water in a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast over it; let stand 2-3 minutes and stir to dissolve.
- 2Combine the egg, honey, coriander, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a large bowl and mix well with a whisk or spoon.
- 3Add the yeast, milk and 4 tablespoons of the melted butter and beat until well blended.
- 4Stir in the flour gradually, adding only enough to form a soft dough that can be gathered into a soft ball.
- 5Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface; if the dough is sticky, lightly butter your hands rather than add more flour.
- 6Knead until smooth and elastic, then shape the dough into a ball and place in a large, lightly buttered bowl, cover with a towel or non-stick foil and place in a warm spot until the dough has doubled in size (if you poke it with your finger, it should not"bounce back").
- 7Spread the remaining melted butter on the sides and bottom of a 3-quart round baking dish at least 3" deep.
- 8Punch down the dough and knead it for 2-3 minutes.
- 9Shape the dough into a round and place in the dish, pressing the dough down so it covers the bottom of the container.
- 10Return the dough to the warm spot and let it rise until it reaches the top of the pan.
- 11Preheat the oven to 350º.
- 12Bake the bread in the middle of the oven 50-60 minutes, or until the top is crusty and golden brown.
- 13Turn out of the pan and cool on a rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3217.2
- Calories from Fat 803
- Total Fat 89.3 g
- Saturated Fat 51.7 g
- Cholesterol 428.8 mg
- Sodium 3712.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 539.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.3 g
- Sugars 141.0 g
- Protein 70.6 g