Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My reverse-engineered recipe for one of my favorites, Hometown Buffet's "Hand-Breaded Fried Chicken". PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour, salt and eggs actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carbohydrate and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
- 8-10 piece premium quality fresh chicken
- salt & ground black pepper
- vegetable shortening
- 4 beaten large eggs
- 29.58 ml Lawry's Seasoned Salt (use Lawry's brand only)
- 14.79 ml ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml yellow cornmeal
- 9.85 ml poultry seasoning
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml lemon pepper
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- 414.03 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- canola oil
- SPRINKLE chicken pieces with salt and pepper; RUB seasonings into chicken; COAT chicken with pure vegetable shortening (this will help seal in the juices).
- MEASURE the BREADING ingredients -- except flour and cornstarch -into a large sealable container or a large zip-lock bag; SEAL the container; SHAKE to blend; OPEN container and add 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch; SEAL and shake again, until thoroughly combined.
- BEAT 4 large eggs in a medium bowl for the EGGWASH.
- DIP 1-2 pieces wet chicken at a time into the EGGWASH to coat.
- PLACE wet chicken into the BREADING mixture container; SEAL container firmly; SHAKE chicken gently in all motions to thoroughly coat chicken.
- TRANSFER chicken pieces onto a cooling rack when chicken is evenly and generously breaded; ALLOW chicken to rest and absorb the breading for a few minutes before frying.
- PREHEAT deep-fryer manufacturer's recommended amount of canola oil; VERY SLOWLY heat oil in gradual increments to 315°F until preheated.
- ADD breaded chicken to the elevated fry basket in deep-fryer without crowding.
- LOWER the deep-frying basket with chicken very slowly into the hot oil; FRY chicken until golden and crisp, until fully cooked fully cooked and juices run clear (about 15-18 minutes, depending on chicken portion/size).
- DRAIN on a wire rack over a baking sheet. NOTE: To keep chicken warm before serving, place chicken on a rack-fitted baking sheet covered with a sheet of foil in preheated 170°F oven; SERVE and enjoy!