Recipe by Anu
My best friend's no-brainer recipe! Try these fantastic bread-slice 'pizzas' for a quick and easy lunch or dinner when you're just too tired to whip up anything elaborate. This combination of tomatoes, onions, bell peppers over a salsa-bread base makes 2 satisfying servings.
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (I use a mild, vegetarian one)
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh corn kernels or 3 tablespoons frozen corn kernels, blanched
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix together the chopped tomatoes, onion and bell pepper.
- Lay out the bread slices on a platter and spread about 2 heaped teaspoons of salsa evenly on one side of each slice.
- Top the slices with a sprinking of oregano (about 1/2 teaspoon each).
- Spoon the veggie mixture over each slice of bread and ensure that the base of the bread is evenly covered, but not overloaded.
- Top with 1/2 tablespoon of blanched corn over each slice, followed by an even (and generous!) sprinkling of grated cheese.
- Toast the bread-pizzas on the grilling rack of a preheated oven (300 degrees Celcius) for 5-8 minutes or until the bottoms of the bread slices are lightly browned.
- Serve/eat hot; enjoy!