Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had a bunch of garden tomatoes, and this was a great way to make use of them. You can store this in the refrigerator for a week and in the freezer for up to 3 months. I doubled the recipe, but I will post it as written. Recipe courtesy of The Pillsbury Cookbook.
- 2 cups onions, chopped (2 large)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil or 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 8 cups tomatoes, chopped and coarsely peeled (12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- In a 4-quart saucepan or dutch oven, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Store in refrigerator up to 1 week or in freezer up to 3 months.