Recipe by Transylmania
Su boregi is a classic Turkish street food available at many borek shops. It is like mix between a pie and a lasagna. This recipe for a home version is from a friend of mine in Istanbul. I tweaked it a little bit.
Top Review by martycz
Hi, this isn't a Su Boregi, Su Boregi translates to Water Borek, the pastry should be moist on the inside and crispy on the outside, the pastry is sometimes boiled when assembling or is spread with a milk/egg mixture between layers. I've had Su Boregi quite a few times for breakfast<br/>when I've visited Turkey.
- 1 lb phyllo dough, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups feta cheese
- 1 bunch parsley, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 liters of fizzy mineral water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and oil a 16 inch round baking pan -- if this is not available use a 9X13 baking pan.
- Combine cheeses, onions, parsley, and one egg. Mix until this is smooth.
- Spread out a sheet of phyllo dough.
- Brush with olive oil. Top with another.
- On top the this spread some of the cheese mixture. Roll this up from the long side.
- In the baking pan coil the phyllo roll.
- Repeat the steps with the phyllo dough and cheese. Coil each roll around the central roll. You will be making one large spiral.
- Beat the remaining two eggs and pour this over the phyllo rolls. Pour the bottle of mineral water over this and put in the oven immediately.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the top is dry, crisp, and golden brown.