Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 5 fluid ounces olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or very finely chopped (or more, to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed Italian herbs or 2 teaspoons spices (OR be creative and mix your own favourite dried spices)
- Cut the loaf in half lengthwise and scoop out all the soft bread DO NOT use the crust.
- Tear the bread into ½ to ¾ chunks.
- Whisk or blend together the oil, salt, pepper, garlic and mixed spices.
- Toss the bread chunks in the oil mixture, making sure that they are all coated.
- Preheat the oven to 300° Fahrenheit.
- Place them on a large baking sheet and bake in oven for 15- 20 minutes, turning them every 5 minutes, until they are golden brown.
My husband made these with my leftover homemade bread. They were so tasty! Just be sure not to soak the croutons in the olive oil, so they won't turn out soggy. Delicious!
Very, Very Good croutons, My DH made these yesterday, used a loaf of sliced garlic sour dough, Cut up the whole thing into 1/2 inch cubes and followed the recipe to a tee. They even make a delicious snack. Had them on a Baby green salad Yum. The recipe is a keeper. I have now been making these croutons for years everyone loves them. I double the recipe all of the time. Thanks again!