Recipe by Mille®
Beats the daylights out of store-bought croutons!
Top Review by sugarpea
Wanted to try a recipe that used oil rather than butter and this fit the bill. I needed croutons seasoned with sage and onion so that's what I used and it worked perfectly. It did take quite a bit longer to dry the croutons out in the oven than the recommended 20 minutes.
- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 2 1⁄2 fluid ounces olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or very finely chopped (or more, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed Italian herbs or 1 teaspoon Italian spices (OR be creative and mix your own favourite dried spices)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the loaf in half lengthwise and scoop out all the soft bread DO NOT use the crust.
- Tear the bread into ½ to ¾ chunks.
- Whisk or blend together the oil, salt, pepper, garlic and mixed spices.
- Toss the bread chunks in the oil mixture, making sure that they are all coated.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Place them on a large baking sheet and place in a 300-degree oven for 15- 20 minutes, turning them ever 5 minutes, until they are golden brown.