Recipe by d.chojnacki
This is a different twist on salsa. Great for parties-- I always get compliments because of the celery since you don't think of salsa to have celery. Easy recipe, fresh ingredients, and low in cost. This is my first recipe I tried with this salsa and it is easy to make variations.
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 2 chopped celery ribs
- 1 chopped white onion
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 ounces tomato paste (use for thicker sauce) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat pan with olive oil and sauté onion, pepper, and celery about 5 minutes to soften. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Add chopped garlic. Sauté another 2-3 minute
- Add oregano, basil, and cayenne pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a pot and add canned tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add about ½ can of water. Add tomato paste until desired consistency.
- Add remaining spices and boil 1-2 minute Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Refrigerate overnight or at least 6-8 hours and serve when cooled.
- For more heat chop up 1-2 jalapeno peppers seeds and all.enjoy!