Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 4 mins
This is another recipe I found in my recipe stash that sounded interesting. I am posting it here in case there is someone who would like to try their hand at making homemade cereal (additive-free). NOTE: Prep time is estimated. Cooking time is total time for 4 pans, baked separately.
- 2 cups wheat bran, unprocessed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups raisins
- Preheat oven to 350*. Combine bran, flours, powdered milk and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix the water, oil & honey together and stir into the dry ingredients. Use a large fork to mix well.
- Divide the dough in 4 pieces. Place one portion on a piece of floured waxed paper. Cover with another sheet of waxed paper.
- Gently roll out dough to a 12" x 15" rectangle.
- Remove top piece of waxed paper and invert the dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Remove the other sheet of waxed paper.
- Bake @ 350* for 16-18 minutes.
- Cool and break into pieces in a paper bag. Make smaller pieces using a rolling pin.
- Repeat with the other portions of dough (roll out & bake a portion whle one cools).
- When all cereal is cooled and broken up, combine with raisins. Store in a covered container.