Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the recipe that we use to make pasta and it always turns out so delicious. We don't have a pasta machine (yet!!!), so time to make reflects mixing everything in the beginning to draining the pasta.
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon marjoram or 1 teaspoon sage, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil or 1 teaspoon olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together 2 c of the flour; basil, marjoram or sage (if desired); and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine eggs, water and oil.
- Add to dry mixture.
- Mix well. (This mixture is sticky, so you will need extra flour handy to mix in the dough, and also to flour your surface and pin when necessary).
- Sprinkle kneading surface with the remaining flour.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface.
- Knead till dough is smooth and elastic (8-10 minutes total).
- Cover and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions.
- On lightly floured surface, roll [dust rolling pin with flour!] each portion into a 12" square (about 1/16" thick).
- Let stand, uncovered about 20 minutes.
- Cut as desired.
- If using a pasta machine, pass each portion through machine according to manufacturer's directions till dough is 1/16" thick.
- Cut as desired.
- To store cut and shaped pasta, hang it from a pasta drying rack or clothes hanger or spread it on a wire cooling rack.
- Let pasta dry overnight or till completely dry.
- Place in an airtight contairner and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Or, dry the pasta for at least 1 hour and seal in a freezer bag or freezer container.
- Freeze up to 8 months.
- My directions from "cut as desired" (step 15).
- Place pasta in four neat clumps (we use cookie cooling racks).
- Get large pot of water with olive oil in it to a rolling boil.
- Place pasta in the boiling water and stir immediately for several minutes to prevent sticking.
- Thicker pieces of pasta will take longer to cook.
- Serve with your favorite sauce!