Prep 3 hrs
Cook 2 mins
I got this recipe from a friend about 20 years agoe. It was passed down in her family and she shared this recipe with me and I'm passing it down in my family. My boys loved these when I made them. They did'nt last very long in my house. The amount of servings, I was'nt sure of. So, you may need to recalculat the servings and nutrition value. I dont have a picture to share with you, but they are really good and they stay moist longer than the store bought ones. I hope you enjoy these as much as we have.
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 compressed yeast cakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- vegetable oil, for deep fat frying
- 5 1⁄2-7 cups flour
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon maple flavoring
- Mix mashed potatoes, yeast, water,salt, and sugar all together and let stand 20 minutes.
- In the mean time mix shortening and eggs together with a mixer till well blended.
- add to mix.
- Add flour to mixture till dough is smooth and work for 20 minutes.
- let rise till double in size.
- Roll out and cut into bar shapes and let rise for the last time, for about 1 to 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oil to 375 degrees and cook in oil(both sides) for 2 to 4 minutes, a few at a time, turning only once.
- Drain on paper towels and cool for frosting with maple icing. Icing Mix ingredients for Icing together till spreadable.
- Frost bars and enjoy.
Just wanted to mention that in step 2 of your directions, you say to mix shortening and eggs, but those aren't listed in the ingredients list.:-)