1/2 Photos of Homemade Bread Pocket With Pizza Filling (Oamc)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Really yummy recipe. It takes a bit of time to make but serves a crowd, or you'll have enough for dinner + several lunches. It works great from the freezer to the oven; I usually freeze left overs. You can be creative with the filling, anything goes. To make the dish more kid friendly I puree the green pepper and onion until souplike, this way the kids don't even know they are eating it. For dinner I serve it with a salad and a vegetable like corn UPDATE - I have changed the yeast to read 4 tsp instead of 4 tbsp - the confusion arises from converting a recipe using fresh yeast - as is customary in Denmark - to dry yeast. I have made it no problem with 4 tbsp but according to the review it can be made with 4 tsp.
My Private Note
pizza p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 400 ml 1% low-fat milk
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 200 g whole wheat flour
- 400 g all-purpose flour
- 500 g extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes (or use pizza sauce)
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1Bread dough:.
- 2Heat the milk until luke warm, stir in yeast until absorbed.
- 3Add sugar, salt and oil.
- 4Add whole wheat and all purpose flour (reserve 3/4 cup of all purpose flour).
- 5Knead until smooth and not sticky.
- 6Let rise for 30 min in a bowl under a dishtowel.
- 8Brown the meat and pour off juices.
- 9Add bell pepper and onion.
- 10Season with salt, pepper, oregano and any spice of your liking, put aside.
- 11After the dough has risen punch it back down and knead for a couple of minutes.
- 12Divide the dough in 20 small balls. I usually divide the dough in half, then in quarters and then each quarter into 5 balls, to get even sizes.
- 13Each ball is rolled out thinly with a rolling pin to approx a dessert plate size. Use the reserved flour to help non sticking.
- 14Brush the rim with egg.
- 15Smear the middle with 1 tbsp of tomato, add 1-2 tbsp meat filling to the middle and top with cheese.
- 16Fold over and pinch the rim with a fork - you should now have a half moon shaped bread with filling. The filling should not be visible or falling out.
- 17Let rise for 10 minutes.
- 18Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes until golden.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Bread Pocket With Pizza Filling (Oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.0
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 80.6 mg
- Sodium 1039.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 31.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: