Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a family favorite of ours, which will warm you up on a cold fall or winter day. It makes a big 10 quart pot, but it?s undoubtedly the best soup you will ever eat.
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut up 1 inch cubes
- 8 potatoes, cut in 1-2 inch squares
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 7 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 soup bone (optional)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 cups flour
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- Place the first seven soup ingredients in a 10qt.
- Fill the pot with water leaving about four inches from the top.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 3 hours.
- When through, mix the spaetzle ingredients until you get a gluey consistency (add more milk if necessary).
- Boil a pot of water and with a hand spaghetti-press, press the spaetzle into the water.
- When the spaetzle hits the water it will form soft noodles.
- Then transfer and stir the spaetzle (noodles) into the pot of soup.
The wife: The spaetzle is done when it rises to the top of the boiling water. This recipe has been in my famly 4 generations.