Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, cup up and undrained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn kernels, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, combine ground beef and onion; saute until beef is brown (drain off fat).
- Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, and basil; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 hours.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve in soup bowls and garnish with cheddar cheese.
This is a very nice, easy soup. I used veggie ground beef, and it tasted great.
Very good, easy soup. I let it simmer for about half an hour instead of the whole hour. Not overly spicy which would work well for kids. Leftovers were very good the next day for lunch.
Good soup on a cold night. I followed the recipe except I used a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes and a 15 ounce can of small diced tomatoes instead of the whole tomatoes and tomato sauce. I also drained my kidney beans and corn. I did top each bowl with cheddar. We thought this was good but could have used a bit more seasoning.