Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I saw this on the food network channel and it looked yummy!
- 1 (12 lb) whole turkey
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3 Spanish onions
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 8 carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch chunks
- 10 red new potatoes, quartered
- 3 fennel bulbs, fronds removed, and cut in wedges through the core
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Take the giblets out of the turkey and wash the turkey inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pinfeathers and pat the outside dry.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting pan & liberally salt and pepper the inside of the turkey cavity.
- Stuff the cavity with the thyme, lemon, 1 onion, quartered, and the garlic.
- Brush the outside of the turkey with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.
- Tie the legs together with string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the turkey.
- Peel and slice the remaining onions, toss them with olive oil, and scatter them around the turkey.
- Roast the turkey for 1 hour.
- Toss the carrots, potatoes, and fennel with the olive oil and add to the roasting pan. Return the pan to the oven and continue to roast for about 1 1/2 hours more, or until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh.
- Remove the turkey to a cutting board and cover with foil for 20 minutes.
- Stir the vegetables and return the pan to the oven. Continue to cook the vegetables while the turkey rests. Slice the turkey and serve on a platter with the roasted vegetables.