Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A co-worker gave me this recipe. It is a sweet-n-spicy appetizer entitled "Holiday Sausage" due to the festive colors of red maraschino cherries and green peppers. It is to be served with tooth picks, so your guests can spear a different flavor combination in each bite.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, links
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 10 ounces pineapple chunks, drained (reserve juice for later)
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice (reserved from canned pineapple chunks)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, cut into 3/4-inch squares
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, drained
- Cut sausage links into quarters (1 1/2-inch pieces) and brown lightly in a skillet.
- Mix brown sugar, salt and cornstarch in a chafing dish.
- Stir in vinegar, pineapple juice and water.
- Boil for five minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Serve hot from chafing dish.
- Have guests spear chunks with toothpicks.