Recipe by Derf
Very special tarts for the Holidays, once a year treat in our home. You will have to guard them, so everybody gets one. They are the nummiest!!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, , cubed
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- cold water
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts
- 3⁄4 cup blanched almond
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped candied peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In food processor, mix together flour and salt.
- Add butter, pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In measuring cup, beat together eggs and vinegar, add enough cold water to measure 2/3 cup.
- Add to flour mixture, process just until mixture begins to clump.
- Press pastry into ball, refrigerate until chilled through.
- Roll out pastry between two pieces of waxed paper to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Using cookie cutter, or glass, cut rounds and fit into 24 small tart tins (or 18 large tins) Chill for 15 minutes.
- Spread hazelnuts in cake or pie pan, and almonds and pine nuts on baking sheet.
- Place both pans in 375 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until nuts are lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Place hazelnuts in tea towel, rub off as much of the skin as possible.
- Coarsely chop hazelnuts and almonds.
- In a large bowl, mix together nuts, peel, rind and spices.
- Add honey, butter and eggs, stir until fruit and nuts are evenly coataed.
- Spoon into prepared tart shells.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 16 to 18 minutes or until pastry and filling are golden brown and edge of filling is set.
- Let cool completely.