Recipe by Greeny4444
This recipe is from my sister-in-law's mother, who was kind enough to share her recipe. I make these every Christmas, and my family looks forward to them every year. The yield depends on the type of cookie cutters you use (I estimated, based on 1 1/2"-size cookies). You can also substitute half brown sugar for half of the granulated sugar (which I do sometimes), if you'd like.
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients with a hand mixer.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Combine the dry mixture into the wet mixture, until incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll flat (to about 1/4" thick), and cut into desired shapes. It does help a bit if you chill the dough for about 30 minutes first, but I hardly ever do!
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, depending on size and thickness of cutout shapes.
- Cool on a wire rack, and decorate as desired.