Recipe by loof
This wassail has been a holiday tradition in my house for many years. An added bonus - the house smells wonderful while it's simmering!
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 16 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 (6 ounce) cans frozen apple juice concentrate
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon bitters
- 1⁄4 cup rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and allspice in the center of a large paper coffee filter. Fold the ends over and roll up burrito-style. Tie closed with dental floss or thread, leaving long ends.
- Mix apple juice concentrate with water as directed on can (you should end up with 6 cups of juice).
- In a saucepan combine apple juice, cranberry juice, sugar, and bitters. Bring to a boil. Tie the ends of the "spice bag" string to the middle of a wooden spoon and lay the spoon over the top of the pot so that the "spice bag" hangs in the juice without touching the bottom of the pot. Reduce heat and simmer at least 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add rum.
- Once I've made the wassail and added the rum, I pour this into a crock pot on low temp so that the warm wassail can be served up throughout the evening!