Recipe by Miss Linda
This dish is a tradition for our holiday dinners. The recipe came from my best friend but I have had to make a few changes over the years because some of the original ingredients are no longer available. My entire family makes sure that Mom doesn't forget to make the Broccoli Casserole for the get togethers.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (16 ounce) package Velveeta cheese (cubed)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup hormel bacon bits
- 2 cups instant rice (uncooked)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli (thawed)
- 1 (8 ounce) can French fried onion rings
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in the butter til clear but not browned!
- Add the soups and cheese and cook til melted stirring often so the cheese doesn't burn.
- When the cheese is melted add the bacon bits, rice and broccoli.
- Turn off heat and stir til well blended.
- Pour into greased 12" round or 9x12 rectangular casserole dish and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle on French Fried Onion Rings.
- Put back into the oven for just a couple of minutes til onion rings are browned and crispy.
- This is sooo good.