Recipe by gailanng
Using a brownie mix makes this a tad easier. Cook time encompasses all cooking time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberry ice cream
- 2 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 (15 1/8 ounce) package fudge brownie mix
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- parchment paper
- 4 egg whites, room temperature (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- bottled fudge sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly oil a 1 1/2 quart mixing bowl, line with plastic wrap. Soften each flavor ice cream just before using. Press strawberry ice cream into bottom of bowl, smooth top; freeze until firm (1-1 1/2 hours).
- Repeat with remaining ice creams. Freeze, covered, until solid (allow 24 hours). Grease an 8" round cake pan, line with waxed paper, lightly grease paper.
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions, stir in pecans. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven on rack near center of oven 29-32 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, invert onto cooling rack, cool completely.
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper, arrange brownie layer in center. Unmold ice cream onto brownie layer, return to freezer while preparing meringue.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until frothy, gradually beat in sugar until meringue is stiff and glossy. Spread meringue over entire surface of ice cream and brownie, sealing bottom completely. Immediately bake iin preheated oven until meringue is golden brown (3-6 minutes). Quickly transfer to chilled serving platter. Return to freezer until meringue is frozen. Cover, freeze for up to 2 days.
- To Serve: Remove from freezer 10-15 minutes before serving. Slice in wedges, serve with fudge sauce.